Very few of the gold rush hotels in Temora survived beyond the 1930s and 1940s.
The exceptions were the "Dewdrop Inn" and the "Golden Gate" hotels. These buildings survived beyond 1970 by which time few people were aware of their significance.
The Dewdrop Inn was licensed in September 1880 by John Skelly and located in William Street, which was later changed to Gidgee Street running off the Barmedman Road.
The Golden Gate was a wooden structure on the corner of Old Cootamundra Road and DeBoos St. Old Cootamundra was the precinct of many hotels. The Golden Gate was licensed in 1881 to Alexander Stewart.
After its licence was lost it was used for a long time as a private hospital where many Temora residents were born. There is now a modern brick home on the site.
In the heart of the NSW agricultural belt, Temora Shire is a sanctuary rich with heritage and resources.
From golden beginnings to high flying achievements, Temora has spread its wings to become more than just another country town. Known for its internationally acclaimed aviation museum in a district of agricultural excellence...