Anyone interested in local history will find much to enjoy in Temora.
Edwardian, Federation and even Art Deco periods are well represented throughout the town and in nearby Ariah Park.
As part of a Community Based Heritage Study conducted by Council in 2007, 370 buildings regarded as historically significant have been identified and researched throughout the shire.
Following is a brief summary of some of the more prominent buildings, a full list of which is available in database form via Council.
This fine two story building is constructed of brick in colonial bond with plastered portico and detail. It has timber verandah columns with cast iron balustrades and brackets. It is covered with terracotta tiles and ridge ornaments. An outstanding feature of this property is its fence design.
This is a typical example of the evolution of buildings as the town developed.The original church, now used as a church hall, was opened in 1882. The present St Andrews, was dedicated in 1933.
One of the early established banks of the goldfield days. Originally of wooden construction, the bank served the community until the present structure, stylishly finished in Italian style stucco, was completed in 1907. In 1919 an extension increased the size of the building. A stable at the rear near the lane was completed with a feed loft atop, a throwback to the horse and carriage days.
Built as the Government Savings Bank, opened for business on 20th March 1918. Except for the access ramp and an 11 metre extension added on the south side in 1978, externally, the building is much the same as it was built in 1918.
A very ornate style of building typical of the turn of the last century architecture. A standard regional court house incorporating a central court room with offices and chambers to the rear and accommodation for the clerk to the side. The interior retains the original joinery, furniture and coat of arms. Temora had sittings of the court from around the beginnings of the gold rush in 1880, but in those times it was usually held in a Public House (Hotel), or other premises. This present building, on the highest point in De Boos Street, symbolic of the presence of the law seeing over all, completes a set of buildings representing the Police precinct.
The building is an important historical example of industry capitalising on the agricultural surroundings. The structure remains a prominent visual landmark and is in sound condition.
The site was purchased by Arthur Pardey from Knowlman and Ness, the existing mill demolished and a new mill constructed and opened in 1908. The mill consisted of a basement and three upper floors all 64 x 44 ft and a grain shed 111 x 70 ft for 40,000 bags of grain. The internal structure consists of timber posts, beams, floors and stairs. The elevations have extensive windows while the frontage to Polaris Street includes an attached timber office and verandah. Exports declined and the milling industry consolidated to larger sites, with the mill closing in 1973.
Originally the site of the Grenfell Hotel which was destroyed in the 1901 fire.
Replaced by the Federal Hotel which was important in its hey day. It was stripped of its verandah poles and attractive cast lacework balustrade in the 1960s. Ironically the hotel was again the victim of fire in 1995 and was closed down. The restored building now operates as a bed and breakfast and craft store.
The Royal Hotel was once a two story building, however later development included the addition of a section on the northern side and building another floor on top.
This saw the Royal join the flour mill and hospital as the only three storey buildings in town.
One of the very early hotels established in 1882. Starting as a single story timber building it was subsequently replaced by the large double brick structure which still retains its original lace work and verandah posts.
Built about the time of the rail link to Temora. This old Edwardian Hotel, with corrugated iron roof and cast iron balcony balustrades was built to accommodate rail travellers after the opening of the line in 1883
One of the few Art Deco buildings and the only Art Deco hotel, featuring leadlight windows, contributing greatly to the main street, with its unaltered façade showing the continued confidence in Temora as a commercial centre.
The current building is the last hotel to be constructed in Temora, occupying the site of the ill-fated Tattersall's Hotel which was burned down in the major street fire of 1931. Plans were drawn up in 1932 by the architect H. W. Helman from Forbes for J. Dunn, the premises being rebuilt in 1933. The current décor still reflects the art deco design. This new hotel was called the Hotel Temora. Several building applications were submitted for renovations to the building since its construction.
One of the very early hotels established in 1882. Starting as a single storey timber building it was subsequently replaced by the large double brick structure which still retains its original lace work and verandah posts.
This fine building was erected by the firm J. Thom in 1929, after their original wooden building was destroyed by fire a year earlier.
The building featured an elaborate staircase to the upper floor. It was later purchased by John Meagher & Co and used as a furniture and general store. It is now privately owned and operates as Target Country.
The original Post Office, located on the present site was completely destroyed by fire on the 1st April 1901, while undergoing extensive reconstruction. From this fire a splendid group of buildings rose.
The large impressive building now known as the Paleface Arcade was originally the two storey department store of John Meagher and Co. John Meagher opened a branch in Temora in a tin shed in 1881 and in 1882 built a section of the first brick store in Temora. A glittering public banquet was held in the upstairs section for the opening of the store.
A brick structure, with a reversed curved verandah across the eastern façade. It has a corrugated iron, single hipped roof, with a verandah extending over the platform area.The railway line from Cootamundra came through to Temora, opening on 1st September, 1893. The railway station took its name from the local property and town, named by Mr. J. D. Macansh in 1848 after a castle called "Temora" in one of Ossian's epic poems.
Face red brick building originally designed to house the two horses kept on the site for emergencies. It has simple rendered bands to enhance the street façade. The building has been extended in later years at the rear to house meeting/debriefing rooms for the firemen. Temora's first known Fire Brigade was established in 1882, but there are no records available of its operations or location. By 1910, fire fighting services had been taken over by the Board of Fire Commissioners, with Edward John Mynott acting as captain of the local brigade. In 1913, the present site was acquired and the current station opened on that site in 1915.
This delightful pair of semi detached houses "Terang" and "Mortlake" were built around the turn of the last century, featuring large bay windows with colored glass in upper sections and plastered detail with cast iron valance panels and brackets.
This church was built in 1906 and still retains the original slate roof, while featuring a doorway edged in stone. The original plan included a spire but, no doubt because of cost, this feature was deferred and is still being deferred for the same reason. The adjacent hall was built in 1934, and is on the site of the original wooden church.
The foundation stone of this large brick church was laid on the 3rd March, 1907.The elaborate stained glass windows bear pictures, designs and entwined letters. Inside there is a very large carved wood alter which contains holy statues and designs.
In the heart of the NSW agricultural belt, Temora Shire is a sanctuary rich with heritage and resources.
From golden beginnings to high flying achievements, Temora has spread its wings to become more than just another country town. Known for its internationally acclaimed aviation museum in a district of agricultural excellence...